I have been thinking a lot about this lately, maybe because the whole first of the year thing and wanting to be a better mom. But really it has been on my mind for months. A few months ago in trying to get to know my neighbors and people in my ward I started to feel surrounded by wonderfully multi-talented mothers....it seemed as though everyone I met was a stay at home mom with a side business (and usually doing something creative on etsy or something). Although I love being a SAHM, I started to feel like there was something MORE I could do with a talent I had. As I thought about it I started to feel very untalented.........everything I could think of that I did decently good wasn't something I felt I could really do something with or there was just no way I would have the time. From there I kept thinking I just am not organized enough.....these are busy moms how do they have the time to do this, and still find time for there kids, and all the things running a household entails, as well as studying and teaching the gospel in the home. I had never really felt this way before, I love being a mom and I knew that what really mattered was the MOST IMPORTANT things. However, at a relief society get together of some young new moms to the ward, we had all been asked the "what do you like to do?" question.... there are a lot of things that I would love to learn or start to do or start up again but for the most part I don't have much time for a hobby, they are kind of hit and miss. Many of the women gave the typical answers "when I actually find the time I like to ____?, or I love to do this all the time." Then one mom when it came her turn said, "I love being a mom, and enjoying doing things with my kids right now in my life."
It really hit me then, even though I already knew it, being a mother is the MORE! and if that was all I was able to accomplish, have time for, and work on getting better at then at least I was working and doing the very most important thing!! I think that women who can do the mother thing and other things being successful at both are amazing, and my hat is off to them..........but I've come to see that I need to be okay with what is in my realm of accomplishment at this time....we all have different talents and capabilities.
So, what is it that I like to do? I like to do the "mom thing", being a mother is the MORE in my life ...... and I find it fun, enjoyable, rewarding, frustrating, and more challenging than any other hobby I can think of.
So very true!
ReplyDeleteAmen... Very well put! (: Miss you guys too by the way!
ReplyDeleteI love this! I felt like I needed a hobby recently. Then I questioned what my interests are. Then I didn't have any, so I thought maybe I'm not too interesting. Lately I've felt like I am happy doing what is important, with just making time for myself a little every day.
ReplyDeleteLove this. I've come to realize this too. I love so many things, but find that if they take me away from time from my kids, I resent them. Love being a mom and spending all my time with them! This time is going to be gone all too fast.
ReplyDeleteMiss ya!
I so agree with everything you said in this post! I have been feeling the same way lately and recently posted about it, so you'll have to come visit my blog. And seriously, I've seen about 5 other posts on other blogs about this in the last few days. It seems to be on a lot of mother's minds lately, and I appreciate hearing like minded moms speak out on it. I love to hear from those who are proud to be "just" a mom, but I like even more how you said it--that "mother IS the more!" Well said.
ReplyDelete